The UKBMS database is managed by the Biological Records Centre, based at the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology (CEH) in Wallingford. UKBMS data can be supplied at varying scales and resolution.
To access published data summaries, use the following sources:
- Species trends. Obtained via https://catalogue.ceh.ac.uk. Search for 'United Kingdom Butterfly Monitoring Scheme: species trends' for the most recent version.
- National log collated indices for specific species. Obtained via https://catalogue.ceh.ac.uk. Search for 'United Kingdom Butterfly Monitoring Scheme : collated indices' for the most recent version.
- UKBMS site locations. Obtained via https://catalogue.ceh.ac.uk. Search for 'United Kingdom Butterfly Monitoring Scheme : site location data' for the most recent version
- Species distribution data (summarised occurrence within 1km squares). Obtained via the National Biodiversity Network (NBN) Gateway (https://data.nbn.org.uk/Datasets) as part of the Butterflies for the New Millenium datasets. Search for 'Butterfly distribution' where dataset provider is Butterfly Conservation.
To access raw data or data summaries, i.e.
- Annual abundance indices for species at specific sites
- Annual phenology estimates for species at specific sites
- Annual, weekly and/or section, summary tables of species counts for specific sites (both UKBMS and WCBS)
- Site locations for the WCBS
Please read and complete our Data Licence Agreement.
Please complete the Data Request form (included in the Data Licence Agreement) giving details of the data required and how it will be used.
Please complete, sign and date the agreement to be returned as:
Electronic version (preferred), as a word document or pdf with filename in the
format 'Filename_yourname_date' (e.g., UKBMS_datalicenceagreement_JoeBloggs_25Jan2013.doc), via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or posted to:
Marc Botham (UKBMS),
Centre for Ecology & Hydrology,
Oxfordshire OX10 8BB
For any inquiries about the Data Licence Agreement please call Marc Botham on +44 (0)1491 692437