The UKBMS database is managed by the Biological Records Centre, based at the UK Centre for Ecology & Hydrology (UKCEH) in Wallingford. UKBMS data can be supplied at varying scales and resolution.
A summary of the data capture, processing, validation and reporting can be access here.
To access published data summaries, visit the Environment Information Data Centre dataset collection for the UKBMS. The following categories of datasets are available and updated each year:
- Species trends. 2011 onwards
- National log collated indices for specific species. 2011 onwards
- UKBMS site locations. 2018 onwards
- UKBMS site indices. 2018 onwards
In addition, we supply:
Species distribution data (summarised occurrence within 1km squares). Obtained via the National Biodiversity Network (NBN) Atlas via two datasets:
- A dataset of Traditional transect data, with monitoring since 1976.
- A dataset of Wider Countryside Butterfly Survey data, with monitoring since 2009
To access raw data or data summaries, i.e.
- Annual abundance indices for species at specific sites
- Annual phenology estimates for species at specific sites
- Annual, weekly and/or section, summary tables of species counts for specific sites (both UKBMS and WCBS)
- Site locations for the WCBS
Please read and complete our Data Request Form including the terms and conditions of the Data Licence (Open Government Licence).
For any inquiries about the Data Licence Agreement please call Marc Botham on +44 (0)1491 692437